The Suffolk Regiment Museum

The Keep, Gibraltar Barracks, Newmarket Road, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. IP33 3RN

Open: 9.30am - 3.30pm on the FIRST and THIRD Wednesday each month

and on the FIRST Sunday each month.

The Suffolk Regiment Museum was established, in the Officers Mess, for the 250th Anniversary of the Regiment in 1935. The first acquisitions were items which belonged to even older collections of badges, medals and uniform items which had been displayed in the Mess since before The Great War. Throughout the 1940s and 1950s the Museum was a working museum in which Suffolk Regiment recruits would go to learn the history of their Regiment. In 1968 the Museum moved to its current location in The Keep. Since that time the collection had grown in a delightfully disorganised way until, in the summer of 2004, the whole display was dismantled, cleaned and redisplayed in the form you see below. For the first time there is a chronological order to the display, hopefully, without losing the 'Granny's attic' appeal of the old one.

We firmly believe that this rare survivor is one of the finest regimental collections to be seen anywhere in the country with artifacts as diverse as the rhino horn powder flask of Tippoo Sultan of Mysore, the surviving Roubaix Drum and the Regimental Brooch presented by the Regiment to HRH The Princess Margaret in May 1953.

Currently open: 9.30am - 3.30pm on the FIRST and THIRD Wednesday each month and on the FIRST Sunday each month. The Museum will, of course, be open on Minden Day for the annual Regimental Reunion too and on special days throughout the year.

Entry is free but the Museum is always pleased to accept donations.

The Museum is located at:

The Keep, Gibraltar Barracks, Newmarket Road, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. IP33 3RN

The museum contains a superb collection of badges and insignia and even the nameplate of the LNER railway engine, "the Suffolk Regiment" which was named in 1935.

The Great War is well covered. Many rare and interesting artifacts are now properly on display for the first time including the Imperial German flag, taken down from the German Governor's Building in Togoland on 5th August 1914 - almost certainly the first to be captured during The Great War.

Military music is a very important part of Regimental life and the Suffolk Regiment have a large collection of drums and associated material. Nearby the cases containing Second World War artifacts tell the harrowing story of those men captured by the Japanese.

Many of the weapons used, or captured, by the Regiment through the ages are now displayed in chronological order. Nearby the National Serviceman's bedspace gives just a taste of life in the Regiment in the 1950s both at The Depot and on active service.

The Museum does not undertake valuations but the Trustees are always pleased to accept new items for the collection and always like to see treasured items which families would like to keep. NB: The Suffolk Regiment Museum no longer accepts items on loan.

No story of the Suffolk Regiment Museum can be complete without mention of Brian Allen. Brian served with 1 SUFFOLK in Malaya 1950-1952. In his will he left a substantial legacy to The Suffolk Regiment Museum Appeal. This magnificent donation, now held by the Museum Trustees as The Allen Bequest, has ensured the long term future of this Museum.

Please do take the trouble to come along - you will certainly find your visit worthwhile.

All Photographs on this page copyright and courtesy of

The Bury Free Press.

* * * * *

Main Menu